Peer NoteTaker - SSD
Peer Note Taker Policies & Procedures
Definition – A peer note taker is a student who is hired under the Student Employment Program to take notes for another student during a class lecture. Note taker provision is a support service provided to students with documented disabilities under the Services for Students with Disabilities Program (SSD). A peer note taker helps to allow equal access to learning by providing quality notes for students with disabilities.
Policy – SSD students interested in being assigned a Peer Note Taker must first complete intake and assessment to determine what support services and/or accommodations are required. Peer Note Takers are assigned based on the student’s individual needs, information provided and official documentation received. Students awarded the provision of a Peer Note Taker must determine which class(es) assistance with notes is required. Peer Note Takers will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. Once a Peer Note Taker has been secured, a memo will be distributed to your professor(s) informing them you were assigned a Peer Note Taker.
Guidelines for SSD Students:
- You must continue to attend the class that your Peer Note Taker is assigned. Peer Note Takers are not hired or paid to attend class in your place.
- You are responsible for notifying the Coordinator of Student Services in advance of any absence, class cancellation or change related to the note taking assignment.
- You may choose to remain anonymous and not reveal your identity to the Peer Note Taker assigned to your class. In this case, all communications will be coordinated by the Coordinator of Student Services.
- If you choose to reveal your identity, you will be provided with the contact information (telephone number and/or e-mail address) for the Peer Note Taker assigned to your class. Please keep in mind that information regarding your disability will not be discussed or provided to the Peer Note Taker.
- Notes are not provided to students who are absent from class. Unless prior notification and authorization is received from the Coordinator of Student Services the Peer Note Taker will be instructed not to attend the class.
- Peer Note Takers are instructed to leave the class if you are more than 15 minutes late for class. Unless your disability causes you to be occasionally late, please plan to arrive to class on time.
- Unless authorized by the Coordinator of Student Services, Peer Note Takers will not be paid if you are not present in class.
- You should inform the Coordinator of Student Services if your Peer Note Taker continually arrives late for class and/or is absent from class.
Notetaking Materials & Delivery of Notes
- All notes will be prepared on NCR (no carbon required) Cornell Note Taking sheets provided by the Office of Student Services.
- You will have access to your notes as soon as possible after the class meets.
- Notes will be delivered to the Office of Student Services, Lincoln Hall, Room 101at least 3-4 hours after the class ends.
- Unless other arrangements are made, you will be responsible for picking up your notes after delivery.
Confidentiality and Professionalism
- All information pertaining to your disability will be held in strict confidence. The Peer Note Taker has been informed of our confidentiality policy. Violations of this policy are immediate grounds for termination.
- If you feel your Peer Note Taker has violated your privacy, please bring this matter to the attention of the SSD Coordinator.