Adult-Learner Undergraduate Programs

School of Adult & Continuing Education

The School of Adult & Continuing Education offers select accelerated and traditional undergraduate programs for adult-learners in the fields of human services and management. As adult-learners, students can earn credits toward the undergraduate degree from previous academic studies, Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), such as, life-learning experiences, professional experiences, passing College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and preparing portfolios, presentations, and/or examinations documenting prior learning using The Council for Adult and Experiential Learning (CAEL) standards.

Why Choose Lincoln University’s School of Adult and Continuing Education at University City?

For the Adult-Learner

Accelerated and traditional programs that are geared toward the adult learner. The accelerated undergraduate programs offer Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) credits for professional experience, as well as credits for College Level Examination Program (CLEP).

Convenient Location

Located in Philadelphia, positioned on the “Avenue of Technology,” our University City location is conveniently accessible to Philadelphia’s Center City and beyond with easy access to public transportation via Amtrak’s 30th Street Station as well as regional transportation options.

Fits Your Schedule

Classes are taught on Saturdays and during the evenings in state-of-the-art classrooms and laboratories by dedicated and skilled faculty with academic and professional qualifications in their course disciplines.


Lincoln University offers reasonable and competitive tuition for students, along with federal financial aid, grants, and military benefits.

Reimagining the Legacy

Offers a student-centered environment that cultivates students by affording a platform to empower, promote, and refine scholarly skills to realization and leadership in a global and ever-changing world.

Are you ready to take the first step?

  Frequently Asked Questions

Who is considered an adult-learner?

The School of Adult and Continuing Education (SACE) defines the adult-learner as:

  • The adult learner who has some prior college experience and work experience in the field.
  • The adult learner who may delay entering college and often returns after an extended absence.
  • The adult learner is often married/partnered and is responsible for child/elderly or related care.
  • The adult learner who is independent with financial and economic resources to underwrite his/her college education.
  • The adult learner who attends at least part-time for a portion of their academic program.
  • The continuing education student who decides to return to college to obtain an additional degree.
  • The continuing education student who wants to acquire certification in a different field/major for promotional opportunities or career transition.
  • The continuing education student who has been downsized, right-sized, or made redundant and seek a different skill-set for a career transition.
  • The single parent, immigrant, veteran, and full-time employee who is seeking a college degree or certificate program.

Who is considered a transfer student?

A transfer student is a student that has previously matriculated at another institution for academic credits.

  • TRANSFER STUDENT: Applicants with transferable credit hours with a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average. 
  • STUDENTS WITH AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE: Students who transfer to Lincoln University with an associate degree in a parallel degree program from a regionally accredited college/university will have their general education/core curriculum courses considered complete. Students may have to complete additional coursework depending on the major and prerequisites required for major courses as determined by the academic department.
  • STUDENTS WITH A BACHELOR’S DEGREE: Students that transfer to Lincoln University from a four-year regionally accredited college/university will have their general education/core curriculum courses considered complete. Students may have to complete additional coursework depending on the major and prerequisites required for major courses as determined by the academic department.

How long will it take me to complete my degree?

A student with an Associate degree, or substantial college credits, may be able to complete the Bachelor’s degree in fifteen to twenty-four months. All other students will complete a program evaluation assessment with of their academic advisor to review transfer equivalency credits and determine required courses for degree completion.

How many credits can I transfer?

Students may transfer 90+ approved credit hours from other accredited institutions with an earned grade of C or better. Students must meet Lincoln University’s residency requirement of at least 30 credit hours, including 15-24 credits hours within their major.

Should I complete an Associate Degree before I transfer?

No, it is not necessary.  However, students with substantial college credits, including general education courses, are welcome to apply.

When will I be assigned an academic advisor?

After you have been formally admitted into an adult-learner undergraduate program, you will be assigned an academic advisor in your indigenous program of study. Your academic advisor will assist you with class registration.

Do I have face-to-face or online classes?

Programs offer a hybrid model and an accelerated 7:1:7 model. Students attend face-to-face classes on some weeks and online classes other weeks, according to a schedule established at the beginning of each academic semester. Classes are offered during the evenings and on Saturday.

How do I access my online courses?

You may access your courses through Canvas, Lincoln University’s learning management system. Admitted students will receive login instructions in their Orientation packet. If students should require further assistance, they may contact the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning/CETL at 800.340.5462 or

What is Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)?

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is an academic process that enables a student to gain credit for what he/she has already learned through professional training, life experiences, job-related activities, or volunteer work. PLA makes it possible for students to earn credit towards a degree for the skills and knowledge they already possess.

Do I have to take a placement test?

A routine placement test is not required.  However, deficiencies in Mathematics and English may require a placement test to determine a student’s competency in these disciplines.

What steps can I take to be successful in the adult-learner undergraduate program?

  • Purchase, read and study the course textbooks
  • Discipline and maturity
  • Interact with fellow students for support and academic assistance
  • Develop a relationship with your professor for academic advising, counseling, and retention
  • Seek assistance from Student Services for financial aid, textbook, and general non-academic issues
  • Ensure that you have ample time to complete assignments timely
  • Have access to a computer at home, and the basic knowledge of Microsoft office and essential skills for searching the internet
  How to Apply

We strongly encourage applicants to apply weeks before the term begins; however, we review applications on a rolling admissions basis. Again, we strongly encourage you to apply as soon as possible.

  • Fall Priority Deadline: July 15
  • Spring Priority Deadline: November 15

Adult-Learner Admission

  • Submit a free online application.
  • Official High School Transcript or General Equivalency Diploma/GED: Submit official high school transcript or equivalent.
  • Transcripts: Submit official transcripts for all accredited institutions you have attended and/or from which you earned credit. 
  • Résumé: A current professional résumé is required.

Transfer Admission

If you have current or prior college credits, you can apply as a transfer student if you meet the below criteria:

  • You are in good standing at all previously attended institutions
  • You have a minimum of 2.0 Cumulative Grade Point Average/CGPA

International Admission

Please see the ‘How to Apply’ page for information relative to International Admissions.

Important Notes

  • Only completed application packets will be evaluated and reviewed for an admission decision.
  • The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request an admission interview and additional supplemental documentation during the evaluation process.


Please contact us at 215-590-8200 or

You are strongly encouraged to upload your supplemental documents to your student portal. You may also email documents to or mail to:

Lincoln University
School of Adult and Continuing Education
Attention: Office of Admissions
3020 Market Street, Fourth Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104

  Transfer Agreements

Lincoln University maintains articulation agreements with the following local community colleges. Articulation agreements are designed to make the transfer process seamless! Students will be guaranteed admission into a Bachelor’s degree program, following the specific obligations of each agreement. Please contact a SACE admissions representative for more details.

The Pennsylvania Transfer and Articulation Center (PA TRAC) allows students to identify courses and degrees that transfer to the University easily.  Please note students are required to meet admissions requirements for Lincoln University.

Please contact us!

Office of Admissions
3020 Market Street, Fourth Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19104 Phone: 215-590-8200
Fax: 215-387-3859

Morgan M. Shaw

Assistant Director
Office: 215-590-8239

Orilan Codrington

Office: 215-590-8234

Aleyah Farmbry

Program Assistant
Office: 215-590-8232