Assessment of Student Success Units
Student learning occurs both inside and outside the classroom and the importance of measuring the effects of both cognitive and affective development cannot be overstated
– Pascarella & Terenzini, 2005
There is strong evidence to show that effective Student Affairs programming and services has a positive impact on student learning as well as enhancing the overall student experience.
– Schuh & Gansemer- Topf, 2010
As such, it is essential to comprehensively assess the various units and programs within the Division of Student Success.
These units are aligned with themes of the Strategic Plan and the university mission and vision. As such, assessment of these units will provide measures of continuous improvement towards the objectives of the Strategic Plan. Additionally, student success units may align with the ILOs and provide a co-curricular component for the General Education curriculum. Thus, it is critical for all the offices and units under the Division of Student Success to undergo comprehensive assessment of their goals and objectives as well as their alignment to ILOs and to the objectives of the Strategic Plan.
Student Success Assessment Committee
The Student SuccessAssessment Committee consists of student success practitioners who are committed to making a positive contribution to the campus assessment culture and program. The Committee exists to support all the units and offices within the division of Student Success in conducting effective and meaningful assessment.
Functions of the Committee include:
- Establishing, reviewing and updating policies and guidelines related to student success assessment
- Communicating student success assessment results to the campus community, as appropriate
- Providing constructive feedback on student success unit assessment
- Providing support to student success units during the comprehensive review process
- Providing recommendations for enhancing and improving the student success assessment process
- Facilitating university wide discussion of assessment results to enhance programs and services
- Researching assessment best practices in order to communicate them and provide training to student success staff
The Student Success Assessment Committee is comprised of representatives from selected Student Success Units across the campus as well as the Dean of Students (or designee). The committee is chaired by the Director of Assessment and the Assistant Provost of Institutional Effectiveness, Research, and Planning serves as an ex-officio member.
Student Success Units
- Academic Support
- Career Development
- Co-curricular Pre-Professional Preparatory Program in Biomedical Sciences and Health Professions
- Community Engagement and Service Learning
- Counseling Services
- Dean of Students
- Dean - First Year
- Dean - Transition
- Dean - Upperclass
- Health Services
- International Programs
- Male Achievement
- Residence Life
- Spiritual Life
- Student Life
- Undergraduate Research
- Upward Bound
- Womens Center