Counseling Services

Mission Statement

As the provider of counseling services, the staff is guided by the highest professional and ethical standards of their profession and are dedicated to providing outstanding services to enhance personal, professional and educational development. Counseling Services support the University’s mission of providing a quality education by addressing the psychological, behavioral and emotional needs of the student through individual and group counseling, crisis management, consultation and assessment services.

Our vision is to be recognized for excellence in providing superior counseling services. We aspire to support and prepare students to function at their highest potential as they navigate through challenges in a highly technological and global society.


Counseling Services are free for students currently enrolled in a degree granting program and include the following:

  • Counseling for such matters as: anxiety, stress, depression, self esteem, relationship concerns, sexual assault, grief and loss, family stress, lesbian, gay, bisexual issues, college-related transition and other developmental issues.
  • Individual Counseling and Therapy provides students the opportunity to meet one-on-one with a professional counselor to address concerns they may be confronted with that could impede their ability to achieve academically.
  • Group Counseling is offered to provide students with support and encouragement through a shared group experience. Groups allow students to learn new ways of relating to people or issues and to gain self-awareness and self confidence.
  • Assessment and referral to other campus resources, such as Health Services, Student Services, Office of The Chaplain, and referrals to community resources when the presenting concerns are beyond Counseling Services’ scope of practice. 
  • Mental health consultation, education, and outreach programs are available to students, faculty, and staff. Counseling Services presents workshops and training sessions to meet the needs of the university community. 
  • Crisis intervention: Same-day crisis appointments are available during business hours from 9:00-5:00pm. After business hours and on weekends, students can contact Chester County Crisis Intervention at 1-877-918-2100 or 610-918-2100.
  • Substance Abuse Consultation and Counseling: Assessment and referrals are provided. Counseling Services partners with local outpatient drug and alcohol agency where students can access drug and alcohol treatment.

Confidentiality Statement

In 1996 the United States Congress passed a law called The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, or HIPPA. This law protects your privacy and controls how your health information is accessed and disclosed. This mean that information shared in counseling sessions cannot be released to professors, other university offices, family members, friends, or anyone without your written permission.

There are some exceptions to confidentiality involving imminent risk of self-harm or abuse of others.

Faculty and staff can access counseling services through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) at 1-800-343-2186.

Counseling Services Location

Wellness Center
Second Floor
Room 221


Telephone: 484-365-7244
Fax: 484-365-7808

Monday – Friday: 9AM-5PM
Evening appointments are available!

For crisis after-hours, contact Chester County Crisis Intervention at 610-280-3270 or 1-877-918-2100.


Mailing Address
Counseling Service and Women's Center
Lincoln University
1570 Baltimore Pike, MSC 48
Lincoln University, PA 19352-0999

Medication Policy

Counseling Services does not prescribe or monitor psychotropic or any other medications. At a student’s request, counselors will make a referral to Health Services or a community physician for medication evaluation.

Rachel Manson MSW, LSW Director, Counseling Services; Director, Women’s Center 484 365-7807