Bursar's Office FAQs

You are sure to have questions of the Bursar's Office. Here are answers to some frequently asked questions.


Q: Why does my account reflect a fine charge?

Answer: Fines are sent to the Bursar’s Office by various departments. For any questions or adjustments necessary to these charges, the student will need to contact that particular office directly.
For example:

  • If a student shows a parking fine charge, he/she will need to contact the Public Safety Department.
  • If a student’s account reflects a Lock Change or Residence Life fines, he/she will have to call the Office of Residence Life.


Q: How much money do I owe the University?

Answer: Bills can be accessed at www.lincoln.edu. Connect through WebAdvisor and click on Log In, which will prompt you to enter your User Id and password. This will take you to the Financial Information screen where you will click on View Account and Make Payments to see your bill. For additional information, please refer to our website under the View an E-bill instructions.


Q: Do any Payment Plan options exist?

Answer: Access the Bursar’s Office Payment Options webpage for details.  If you need to setup a payment plan, please click on Nelnet. All students must have a zero ($0) balance on their student account in order to enroll for a current term. Please refer to our Student Account Policy


Q: When will I receive my refund?

Answer: Refunds are processed automatically. An e-mail from service@afford.com will be sent to your Lincoln e-mail address informing you when the refund has been completed. Student refunds are handled by Tuition Management Systems. Please make sure to sign up for your refund preference (either Debit Card or Direct Deposit) via Lincoln Choice. Any questions about a refund should be addressed to Tuition Management Systems via telephone at 888-425- 1138 or through the website at Lincoln Choice.


Q: How will I obtain my 1098T form for the current tax year?

Answer: Students will be able to view online and print their 1098T forms for the tax year 2009and beyond. Visit www.ecsi.net/1098T and select the login link near the top of the page. Click here to retrieve your login credentials. Students may also call 866-428-1098 for login assistance. 


Q: How will I obtain my 1098T form prior to tax year 2009?

Answer: If you require any tax forms prior to tax year 2009, please email the Bursar at wjohnson@lincoln.edu. The email should include the name of the student, student ID #, tax year requesting, mailing address, and telephone number where we can reach you