FAQs for Residence Life

  • New Student Move-In: August 15, 2021

    • Frederick Douglas and McRary Halls will move-in from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
    • Ashmun and Lorraine Hansberry Halls will move-in from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
    • Transfer Students - McCauley Hall will move-in from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
  • Returning Student Move-In: August 21, 2021

    • LLC, Laney, McRary, and Rendell Halls will move-in from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
    • ASL will move-in from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Q: What is provided in a standard double room?

Answer:  Rooms are furnished with a desk (2), desk chairs (2), dresser (2), extra-long twin mattress and bed frame (2), and wardrobe if the room does not have closet space. Rooms are also equipped with a phone jack, cable outlet, and Ethernet connection.

Q: What items are recommended?


Extra-long twin bed linens & pillows Mattress cover/pad
Umbrella & raincoat Laundry bag/basket
Small carpet Fan
Iron & mini ironing board Wash clothes & towel
Telephone & cord TV, cable cord and splitter
Flash drive Flashlight & batteries
Alarm clock Radio/stereo system
School supplies Personal hygiene items & toiletries
Hangers Desk lamp
Power strip/surge protector Shower caddy
Over-the-counter medicine (Tylenol, Aspirin, cold/sinus medicine)
Laptop or desktop computer with Ethernet cord
Mini refrigerator (max 3.3 cubic ft./no more than 120V)
Cleaning supplies (laundry detergent, bleach, disinfectant wipes, Lysol, etc.)


Q: What items are prohibited?


Extension cords Oversized fridge (more than 120V)
Pets of any kind Cooking appliances:
Alcoholic beverages Toaster
Air conditioner Toaster oven
Incense and candles Microwave
Firearms & ammo (BB gun, paintball gun, bow & arrow, water gun, etc.) Sandwich maker
Firecrackers Blender
Illegal drugs and paraphernalia Electric skillet/hot plate
Personal furniture Coffee maker
Waterbed George Foreman grill

Q: What buildings will incoming students reside in?

Answer:  First year females are housed in Lorraine Hansberry and Ashmun halls. Males are housed in Frederick Douglass and McRary halls. Transfer students will be housed in McCauley Hall. 

Q: Do the residence halls have wireless internet?

Answer:  Yes, all residence halls have access to wireless internet service. If you have a Mac, you may need to have the IT department configure your laptop for the LionNet service.

Q: How do meal plans work?

Answer:  All incoming (first year and transfer) students are assigned a 19-meals-per-week plan.  Returning students can choose between 14 and 19 meals per week.  For more information on rates, please visit Dining Services.

Q: What are the inter-visitation hours?

Answer:  Inter-visitation is being able to visit a single-sex residence hall during designated hours. Inter-visitation hours are Sunday-Thursday 6 p.m. -  11 p.m., Friday-Saturday 6 p.m.  - 2 a.m.

Q: What halls are co-ed?

Answer:  Apartment Style Living (ASL) is co-ed by suite, LLC North and South by floors, McCauley Hall by floor, &  Rendall Hall by floor.

Q: Are there single rooms available?

Answer:  Yes. There are a limited amount of singles that are available during the room selection process. First-year students are not permitted to reside in singles.

Q: Are the rooms air-conditioned?

Answer:  Apartment Style Living (ASL), Rendall Hall, and Lucy Laney Hall are the only residence halls with air-conditioned rooms.

Q: Where do I go to check-in?

Answer:  All check-ins are done at in front of the Intercultral Center (ICC).

Q: Do I have to move all of my things out during winter break?

Answer:  No. The halls will be closed and secured during the break and residents will be required to return room keys back in. We do suggest that residents take valuable personal items with them.

Q: How are the rooms assigned?

Answer:  Rooms are assigned to incoming freshmen and transfer students upon admission and receipt of the acceptance fee. The Office of Residence Life houses all incoming freshmen on their intended major per the University application. Returning upperclassmen have the opportunity to select their room assignment and roommate(s) during the Room Selection Process in late March or early April.

Q: When can I change my room or roommate(s)?

Answer:  Changes can be made three weeks after classes begin during room swap. Changes must be approved by the Office of Residence Life. 

Q: Can I get a room after classes start?

Answer:  Yes, if there are still rooms available.

Q: If I cancel my housing agreement, will my room fee be refunded?

Answer:  No. The housing fee is a non-refundable fee. No fee was charged to upperclassmen for the 2021-2022 academic year. 

Q: Who can reside in Thorn Flats? 

Answer:  Currently, Thorn Flats is not an option for the 2021-2022 academic year. 

Q: Who do I contact if I have other questions?

Answer:  Your Area Coordinator should be able to answer any other questions you may have. However, you can also contact the Office of Residence Life Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or by email  at residencelife@lincoln.edu

Q: What is an Area Coordinator?

Answer:  Area Coordinators are live-in professional staff who support residents, respond to emergencies, and serve as liaisons to various campus offices. They supervise CAs, student staff, who promote and build community.

Q: What is a Community Advisor?

Answer:  A Community Advisor (CA) is a student staff member who serves as a resource to help you adjust to your home away from home. They will be a resource to your academic major, on campus services, programs/events, and policies of the university.